Wednesday, January 13, 2010

An Improvised English Lesson

Several of the One Mango Tree tailors have told us they wish to improve their English. Some of them are quite good at conversational English but need reading and writing help; others understand only a little and are afraid to speak at all, so they need the basics. In fact, there are a few who are not able to read and write in their Acholi language.

Assessing their level of proficiency has been one challenge; finding a suitable time for English classes has been another. Transportation is always an issue; most of them walk or ride bikes a fairly long distance to get to the OMT workshop and would not be able to go home and return for evening classes. Nor would they want to stay after their 8 to 5 workday; by that time they are tired and hungry and ready to go home and face their homemaker duties.

Today an opportunity arose. The women were at work but the fabric delivery had been delayed and there was nothing for them to cut and sew. Time for an English lesson, but where should I begin? There was no chalk board and no student texts and workbooks , all of which I was accustomed to using for teaching ESL classes in Dallas. Although I brought with me one copy of the ESL teaching materials, I quickly realized that even if I had enough copies, they were not appropriate for Uganda. How can people who live in round, one-room, thatch-roof huts with no electricity relate to a lesson plan built around a graphic depicting a two-story house with basement, attic, and garage -- and filled with modern appliances?

The book did give me an idea, though. I found a page listing words that describe people and things. To make it more fun, I decided I would tell them a word, make sure everyone understood how to use it and spell it and then ask for its opposite. I also found a tourist magazine with articles about Uganda that we could read aloud, taking turns, or that I could read and then quiz them for comprehension. My plan was to make this class for the more advanced English speakers and wait until another time for the women who speak little or no English.

I found a piece of poster paper to write on and some typing paper and pens for them to use, and invited 5 or 6 women to join me under a shade tree. We had barely begun when other women came to join us. Pretty soon they had all come, including the women who could not understand what I was saying. I struggled to find a middle ground, to hold the interest of the more advanced students (by throwing in some slang and some humor) while keeping it basic enough for most of them to grasp at least something.

I had fun because I love words so much. I think they did, too. I hope they learned something. I hope they will come back when we schedule the next class. They have a homework assignment --- to practice writing something, anything, and to bring it to me for feedback and corrections. I’ve already received one -- an amazing song written by Pamella about her memories of the war torn years in Northern Uganda. I am blown away by her creativity and drive. And she now knows how to spell about 10 words that she was only guessing at before our exercise.

Now, if only I could learn their Acholi (Luo) language. They keep trying to teach me and I can manage a few phrases and greetings but they usually laugh at me so I know I'm saying them incorrectly or at the wrong time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ruth,

    I love the updates you're posting. You bring the place alive.

    Transcribe a bit of the story the woman wrote for you. I bet it's fascinating.

    Safe travels.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete