Sunday, December 13, 2009

Coffee Shop Escape

I've been in Uganda exactly one month. And I still haven't launched a blog site or sent out the long email newsletter my friends expect. But today I'm starting to create a blog, and will begin to type up my earlier journal entries.

Sitting here in Cafe Larem, Gulu's coffee shop and internet cafe, enjoying the aftertaste of a mocha ice cream I just devoured (only my second in a month and a huge treat) and the sounds from the Sunday afternoon activity right outside the door... rumblings from the local market that begins across the street and stretches crazily in a maze of stalls and vendors for several city blocks, steady hammering from some repairs being made to something I can't see from here, squeals and Acholi chatter from kids playing at the edge of the street, and the frequent put-put of a passing boda-boda (motor scooter taxi).

Bodas are not all that safe, but I'm getting used to them now and will be taking one shortly to get back to the compound. Don't tell Danny, but I actually enjoy the ride, even without a helmet. The drivers do honor my request to 'go slowly please.' I could walk but it's not an easy walk because of the uneven surface, lack of footpath,and the necessity of dodging cars, bicycles and bodas ... all of them kicking up red dust or if it's been raining, red mud. I thought originally it was about a 20 minute walk but it's more like 30 or 40 minutes. I know, I know --- it would be good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment